An advisory council is a voluntary group of individuals who meet on a regular basis to support the effective functioning of their local park. Park Advisory Councils (PACs)in Chicago represent more than 225 parks in all 77 community areas across the city, as the community voice for their neighborhood park, children’s playground, beach or natural area.
Councils promote ways for the community to better utilize the Chicago Park District's programs and facilities; provide communication to the Chicago Park District on matters relating to their parks; increase community awareness of Chicago Park District projects; provide the community with a vehicle through which park information can be shared; and assist in locating alternate funding sources to enhance park facilities. In an effort to do these things, many councils host events and other related activities throughout the year. The
The Chicago Park District seeks advisement from councils regarding services provided to parks, needs, problems, accomplishments, and any other matters councils consider important to the operation of their parks.
PACs help make a difference in their parks whether they are partnering with their park, creating a garden, fundraising for a new playground, hosting special events, sponsoring a recreation program, or advocating for improved services in the park.
The Chicago Park District encourages interested park patrons to participate in or form an advisory council in their local park.
Forming a Park Advisory Council
- Meet park supervisor to discuss forming a Park Advisory Council
- The group must submit a letter of intent to the park supervisor
- Set up a community meeting that encompasses the areas around the play lot
- Post fliers in the park, aldermanic office, library, and surrounding community groups, local businesses etc.
- Invite the Chicago Park District to talk about advisory councils
- All interested members must fill out the PAC Application
- Schedule elections giving 14 days notice
- Once you have you have an elected board set up you should fill out the NEW PAC Registration form
What makes a PAC compliant?
Registered Chicago Park District PACs, enjoy the use of rooms, space for their monthly meeting, application fee waivers, expedited event permit processing, partnership benefits of no or reduced fees and liability insurance. If a PAC is not compliant they will not be privy to these benefits.
- Submitting Annual Report
- Holding Elections
- Submitting Bylaws to the Chicago Park District
- Maintaining PAC binder in parks, which includes: meeting agendas, meeting minutes, financial reports, sign in sheets
- Following the Code of Conduct
Advisory Council Forms
All existing and newly formed advisory councils and those interested in becoming an advisory council, must review and complete the forms below. Email the completed Application, Registration Form, Partnership Pledge and By-Laws to the Chicago Park District Community Engagement Department to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advisory Council Guidelines
- Advisory Council Letter of Intent Sample
- Advisory Council Member Application
- Advisory Council Registration Form
- Advisory Council By-Law
- Advisory Council Code of Conduct
- Officer Update Form
Advisory Councils List
View a list of parks with advisory councils, and get meeting dates and contact information.
Advisory Council Applications
If you have any further questions about Chicago Park District advisory councils, please call the Department of Community Engagement at (312) 742-2797 or email@example.com.