Located in the Logan Square community (two blocks east of Western Avenue and three blocks south of Fullerton Avenue), Holstein Park sits on 3.25 acres.
The fieldhouse is equipped with two gymnasiums, an assembly hall (with stage), and clubrooms for rental.Outside, the park offers a swimming pool with a wading pool, a senior baseball field, a softball field, a volleyball court, and a playground with a spray water feature.
Holstein Park is one of the sites for the popular Park Kids after school program for youth—with special programming available on school holidays.Teens, Pre-Teens, and Seniors can make new friendships in their age-oriented clubs. Parents will appreciate the opportunity for their tots/preschoolers to increase their socialization skills in programs such as Art & ABCs, Moms Pops & Tots Interaction, Play Group, Tot Spot, Play School Activities, Music & Movement, as well as Recreational Tumbling.
For recreation, the park offers baseball, basketball, cheerleading, dodgeball, kickball, seasonal sports, soccer, and softball—as well as Sports Camp, Kids Fitness, and MightyFitKidz. During the summer, there’s a variety of summer aquatics programs, an arts camp for 13 yr. olds, and our popular day camp for youth.
Annual special events held at Holstein Park include Family Valentine Dance, Spring Break Camp, and an Easter Egg Hunt.
In 1854, real estate speculators Sherman, Clark, and Westmore reserved two acres of their subdivision as Holstein Park to enhance the area and its property values. The surrounding area was known as Holstein, an enclave of laborers and craftsmen from Schleswig - Holstein, now a region of Germany. Although the developers expected the city to beautify Holstein Park, it remained unimproved for more than 40 years. Finally, in 1901, the city transferred the park to the West Park System, which made initial improvements. By 1910, the West Park Commissioners had created several new neighborhood parks. These included the earliest west side fieldhouses, offering residents of the surrounding congested neighborhoods important services and programs such as public bathing, English lessons and other classes, and athletics. Efforts soon began to build fieldhouses in some of the existing small parks, including Holstein Park. A handsome brick fieldhouse, designed by Illinois state architect William Carbys Zimmermann, opened to the public in 1912. In 1917, the park commissioners enlarged Holstein Park by purchasing 16 lots north of what is now Palmer Street. Visionary designer Jens Jensen, then consulting landscape architect to the West Park Commission, conceived a plan to cooperatively operate Holstein Park with the adjacent Logan School. He hoped to combine the two properties, build a new school, a separate gymnasium, and an indoor swimming facility. He also wanted to create prairie-like playfields, council rings, an outdoor theater, and school gardens. Although the commissioners began negotiating with the Board of Education, the plan was never realized. Jensen's innovative idea was ahead of its time. A recent collaboration between the City of Chicago, Chicago Park District, and Board of Education has resulted in approximately 100 campus parks throughout the city.
3rd Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.