Kucinski-Murphy Park is 0.74 acres and it is located in the McKinley Park community. The park features a playground and water feature that were renovated in Summer 2014 as part of the Chicago Plays! playground initiative.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby McKinley Park for recreation in the gym, fun in the outdoor pool or a game of soccer on the artificial turf.
In 1926, Chicago's Bureau of Parks and Recreation established Kucinski-Murphy Park on city land in the McKinley Park neighborhood. Within a few years, the bureau had improved the property with an office building/shelter house and a playing field that could be flooded for skating in winter. Playground equipment was later installed, and the original recreation building was replaced in 1947.
In 1959, the city transferred the park to the Chicago Park District, along with more than 250 other properties. The park district constructed a new spray pool and paved the gravel-surfaced playground in the late 1960s. A soft surface playground was added in 1990.
For decades, the park was officially named 33rd Place Playground, for the adjacent street. In 1999, the park district officially designated the site Kucinski-Murphy Park. Neighbors had known the playground as the Vicki M. Kucinski and Rosebeth Murphy Playlot Park since the tragic death of those two neighborhood girls in the late 1980s.