Situated just south of Bryn Mawr Avenue and west of Harlem Avenue on the northwest side of the city, Oriole Park covers 19.51 acres of land and provides numerous programs year-round for every age resident. Outdoor amenities include two senior and four junior-sized baseball fields, one softball field and one combination soccer/football fields. In addition to two Chicago Plays! renovated playgrounds [one has a ship theme] a sandbox and an awesome interactive spray pool, the park features three tennis courts, two regular and one junior basketball standard and a paved path for walking, running, biking or inline skating.
For its youngest park patrons, Oriole Park offers preschool, storytime and crafts, moms, pops and tots, tot music and t-ball. Adults can participate in walking, piano lessons and co-rec volleyball. Teenagers play basketball or get moving with roller hockey. Oriole Park is used most by youth ages 6-12, who may gain skills in basketball, recreational tumbling, team gymnastics, floor hockey, volleyball, indoor tennis and track and field programs. The park also offers a seasonal sports class that provides practice and preparation for specific regional and citywide athletic tournaments. Piano lessons and fun with food classes are also offered at Oriole Park. Students enrolled in programs become the stars of gym showcases, where they show off the skills they have learned over the past season.
During the summer months the staff offers it's popular and affordable 6-week day camp. Check us out!
Oriole Park takes its name from the surrounding subdivision in the Norwood Park community. As late as 1930, it was a sparsely-settled, semi-rural area. Lying a mile from the Northwestern Railway's Norwood Park station, the neighborhood began to fill with single-family homes in the 1920s, when newly-affordable automobiles allowed middle-class families to move further out. Oriole Park was created by the Edison Park District, one of 22 independent park boards consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. Several years before the consolidation, a committee of the 77th Avenue Improvement Club urged the Edison Park District to create a playground along Oriole Avenue. The local park district purchased the land in mid-1931. By late the following year, the city had vacated an adjacent alley, bringing the park to 2.29 acres. The Edison Park District considered constructing a softball field on the property, but made few improvements to the swampy site. Still, local children used the new park enough to prompt a neighboring farmer to ask that a fence be erected to prevent stray baseballs from ruining his crops. Not long after the 1934 transfer to the Chicago Park District, a softball diamond and a playground were installed at Oriole Park. After World War II, the park district added more than 16 acres to the park in anticipation of increased population expected because of construction of the Northwest Highway. For a time, the park district and the Chicago Board of Education provided joint programming at the park and the adjacent Oriole Park School. This co-operative relationship ended in the early 1970s, when a large fieldhouse was constructed in the park. During the 1990s, the park received a new soft surface playground and an interactive waterplay area.
543 N Olcott Ave
Chicago, IL 60656
5430 N. Olcott Ave.
Chicago, IL 60656