Located in the Beverly Community Area, Barnard Park totals 2.36 acres and is a recreational destination enjoyed by neighborhood families. This park offers a playground with swings, slides, climbing apparatus, benches to relax and a space for picnics. Park patrons engage in a variety of activities including baseball and soccer.
On October 12, 1900, the Chicago Tribune reported that Erastus A. Barnard, an early settler of the Beverly community area, had donated approximately two acres of land to the city for a small park. At the time, this lovely area of rolling hills and large, stately homes had a small population. It was expected, however, that the area's recent annexation to Chicago would spur significant growth. The City of Chicago acquired the land from Barnard and his wife in 1902. The City agreed to make landscape improvements, install children's playground equipment, and name the park in honor of Mr. Barnard's deceased daughter, Amy L. Barnard. The nearby Alice Barnard School had previously been named for Amy Barnard's aunt, a teacher and local historian. By 1909, Barnard Park included playground equipment, tennis courts, a drinking fountain, a large wading pool, and a tool shed. For many years, the park's landscape was flooded for ice skating in the winter. During the 1930s and 1940s, between 2,000 and 5,000 skaters used the park each winter. The City transferred Barnard Park to the Chicago Park District in 1957 pursuant to the Chicago Park and City Exchange of Functions Act. By 1966, the park district had replaced the original wading pool with a smaller spray pool, demolished the tool shed, installed new playground equipment, and planted additional trees.