This tiny playground is 0.28 acres and it is located in the West Ridge community (one block east of Western Avenue, 1 ½ blocks north of Peterson Avenue). The park district is working with local mosaic artist Cynthia Weiss to develop a commemorative gate for Korczak Park. The gate's design will be based on the ideas of area school children who have studied Dr. Korczak's life and teachings. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered nearby at Green Briar Park.
Korczak Park is one of a number of small parks established by the City of Chicago in the years following World War II. After purchasing the park site in 1950, the city turned the property over to its Bureau of Parks and Recreation for development as a playground. In 1959, the city transferred this park, along with more than 250 others, to the Chicago Park District. Originally known as Claremont Park for the adjacent street, the playground was renamed Korczak Park in 1974, at the request of Skokie's Janusz Korczak Chapter of B'nai B'rith. The new name honors Dr. Janusz Korczak (1878-1942), a Polish educator, writer, and pediatrician well known for work with parentless children. Dr. Korczak founded and directed orphanages for Jewish and Catholic children, whom he encouraged to be as independent as possible. Passing up a number of opportunities to flee Nazi-occupied Poland, Dr. Korczak chose instead to accompany his charges when they were deported from the Warsaw Ghetto to the Treblinka death camp. Both Korczak and the children died at Treblinka.