This small playground is 0.23 acres and it is located in the North Lawndale Community. While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Franklin Park.
Millard Park and the adjacent street take their names from Alden C. Millard, a partner in the real estate firm of Millard and Decker, who subdivided much of the surrounding area in 1870. The firm's "Lawndale" development was soon attracting the families of factory workers, especially after the McCormick Reaper Plant relocated nearby in 1871.
North Lawndale grew dramatically in the early 20th century, reaching a 1930 population of 112,000, nearly half of whom were Russian Jews. The area's population began to drop somewhat after 1930, but rebounded during the 1950s, as African-Americans moved in to take the place of departing residents. In 1953, the City of Chicago purchased this tenth-acre property on Millard Avenue as part of a city-wide program to develop small parks in under-served neighborhoods like North Lawndale.
The Bureau of Parks and Recreation soon developed the site as a playlot, installing basketball courts, playground equipment, and a sandbox. In 1959, the city transferred Millard Park to the Chicago Park District, which rehabilitated the playground area in 1992.