Located in the Lincoln Park community (1/2 long block north of Fullerton Avenue, one block west of Ashland Avenue), Schaefer Playlot Park is 0.25 acres and it was renovated under the Chicago Plays! playground renovation.
While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered at nearby Wrightwood Park.
In 1908, the City of Chicago opened a public bath in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, one of 14 such facilities operated by the Chicago Department of Health at the time. The first of these baths had opened in 1894 at the urging of social reformers, who sought to provide health and hygiene services for overcrowded inner-city neighborhoods where few residences had running water. The city named the Lincoln Park bath for leading Chicago physician Fernand Henrotin (1847-1906), who served as surgeon to both the Fire and Police Departments for many years. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation began operating the public baths on behalf of the city around 1930. By this time, living conditions were improving, and bath attendance had long since begun to decline. Still, as late as 1945, Henrotin Bath drew 24,000 patrons, more thantwo-thirds paid no admission. In the mid-1950s, the Bureau of Parks and Recreation developed plans for a small playground on property adjacent to the bath house. Shortly thereafter, the new playground was designated Schaefer Park, in honor of local civic leader and Republican precinct captain Edward J. Schaefer (1895-1955). Schaefer, an aid to 44th Ward Alderman John Burmeister, suffered a fatal heart attack while listening to election returns at the alderman's campaign headquarters. The city transferred Schaefer Park and the adjacent Henrotin Bath to the Chicago Park District in 1959. In 1971, the park district demolished the aging bath house, expanding the playground unto the now empty site. In 1992, a new soft surface playground was installed.
2nd Monday of the month 5pm at Bessemer Park