This small playground with sandbox is 0.42 acres and it is located in the Lincoln Park neighborhood (on Racine Avenue, one block south of Wrightwood Avenue). The new ADA soft-surface playground is a favorite of community children and their parents! While there is no structured programming taking place at this location, we invite you to check out our great programs offered nearby at Wrightwood Park.
Supera Park was one of 42 playgrounds and playlots developed by the City in 1950 to meet the recreational needs of post-World War II Chicago. After purchasing a small property in the Lincoln Park community, the City's Bureau of Parks and Recreation improved the site with a gravel-surfaced playground. In 1957, the City transferred the site to the Chicago Park District, along with more than 200 other properties, pursuant to the Chicago Park and City Exchange of Functions Act. In 1982, the park was enlarged slightly by extending it into an adjacent alley. The Park District has rehabilitated the property at least three times, most recently adding a soft surface playground with a pirate ship-themed climbing structure.
Originally known as Racine-Draper Park for the adjacent streets, the site was renamed Supera Park in 1990 at the request of the Wrightwood Neighbors Conservation Association. The new name honors local resident Louis Supera, who made significant contributions to the community. Supera was known for his support of the Better Boys Club, the Menominee Club for boys and girls, and the Lincoln Park Conservation Association, among other groups.