Being a lifeguard is one of the more rewarding jobs you'll ever have. You'll learn life skills & help save lives, earn lifesaving certifications (First Aid, CPR, AED), gain unparalleled work experience for future careers, engage in fulfilling work, and make a positive impact on our city.
New for the 2023 season
- Streamlined three-step application process (see steps below).
- Lifeguards to be conditionally hired after completion of the lifeguard skills test & paid for attending the three-day training academy
- American Red Cross Certification classes offered at various days & times to provide options for all schedules
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be a resident of the City of Chicago
- Be fully vaccinated
- Pass the lifeguard skill test
- Become American Red Cross certified
WE'RE PLANNING FOR THE SUMMER 2023 SEASON NOW - CONSIDER BEING PART OF OUR TEAM!
Apply now for summer 2023. The three-step application process is as follows:
- Complete the Job Application
Apply online for the Lifeguard-Seasonal position.
- Take the Lifeguard Skills Test
Lifeguards hired by the Chicago Park District must demonstrate that they possess the physical abilities required for the job. Candidates must pass all portions of the test to be considered for the position. The test portions include:
- 200-yard swim in less than 3 min., 30 sec. (4 min., 30 sec. for Shallow Water Attendants)
- 20-yard underwater swim
- Retrieval of a 10-pound object from a depth of 10-14 feet
- Approach stroke 25 yards, retrieve a submerged manikin in deep water, and tow 25 yards
The test day will be selected when completing the lifeguard job application (step 1). After passing the lifeguard skills test, candidates will be conditionally hired.
Attend the Lifeguard Training Academy
The New Lifeguard Training Academy is a three-day course on the safe operation of a beach or swimming pool. This course allows trainers to assess a candidate’s ability to be on time and prepared to work, follow directions, perform rescue and life-saving skills, and complete tasks under supervision. Testing occurs on the final day of the academy. Applicants must pass all requirements of the academy to be considered for the lifeguard position. Pass/fail information will be provided on-site at the completion of the academy. Applicants must pass the Lifeguard Skills Test to attend the training.
Sign-up for the training academy takes place at the completion of the lifeguard skills test (step 2).
All candidates must have their American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding Certification by the start of the Lifeguard Training Academy. Certification classes are offered at various dates & times to meet the needs of different schedules. Classes are offered on weekends, after school, and over the holiday break. Learn more about these classes and register for one now: Lifeguard Certification Classes
For questions about the Chicago Park District’s Lifeguard Hiring and Training process, please contact the Chicago Park District Aquatics office at (773) 363-2225.