Located in the Hyde Park Community Area, Bixler Playlot is a 1.01 acre recreational destination enjoyed by park patrons and their families. This park's amenities include a playground with swings, slides, climbing equipment, and a spray feature for those hot summer days.
Lying less than a block from William H. Ray Elementary School, Bixler Park is named for Chicago educator Ray Bixler (1890-1947), who served as the school's principal for many years. Having earned a master's degree from the University of Chicago, Bixler began his career in the Chicago school system in 1925, teaching chemistry and other science classes at Harper, Hirsch, and Tilden High Schools. In 1931, he became principal of Barnard High School. Four years later, he was named principal of Ray School, serving there until 1947, the year of his death.
In 1880, the South Park Commissioners acquired land from Cook County. In 1946, the Chicago Park District transferred land to the Board of Education. By 1950, the City of Chicago's Department of Parks and Recreation was operating this Board of Education property as a playground. In 1957, the city transferred management of the site to the Chicago Park District. The park was expanded in 1963 with the vacation of a portion of the east half of S. Kenwood Avenue. The Park District continued to lease the property until 1991. In that year, the Board of Education transferred the property to the Park District.
4th Weds of the month 7pm
5641 S. Kenwood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637