11101 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
Chicago, IL 60628
Located in the Pullman neighborhood, Pullman Park is a park location totaling 1.02 acres and it is used for passive recreation. Park patrons can relax in this open green space on benches while enjoying the beauty of nature.
Pullman Park is one of two parks that were created for the town of Pullman by its founder, George M. Pullman (1831-1899). The second park is nearby Arcade Park. In 1889, Hyde Park Township (which included Pullman) was annexed into the City of Chicago through popular election. The majority of Pullman residents voted against annexation. The Pullman Land Association continued management and maintenance of town properties.
Pullman Park was donated to the City of Chicago in 1909, the park was named Pullman Park as one of the requirements within the deed to the City, the other requirement was that the property shall forever be used and maintained as a park, and for park purposes only. This park was later transferred to the Chicago Park District in 1957 pursuant to the Chicago Park and City Exchange of Functions Act.
George Pullman vastly improved the comfort of long distance rail travel when he introduced the sleeping car that bears his name. In 1877, Pullman began to buy up 3,500 acres of land on the western shore of Lake Calumet on which to build his new factory. Plant construction began in 1880. To lure well-qualified workers, Pullman also built worker housing, stores, churches, and public buildings - an enormous company town. Pullman hired architect Solon S. Beman to design the town's buildings and Nathan F. Barrett to plan the landscape. By 1884, Pullman had around 8,000 residents. True to the original designer's intent, Pullman Park remains a landscaped park, uninterrupted by structures.