Located in the West Lawn neighborhood, West Lawn Park totals 16.73 acres and features a gymnasium, fitness center and multi-purpose clubrooms. Outside, the park offers multi-purpose fields, a playground, sandbox, racquetball courts. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our gymnasium and multi-purpose clubrooms.
Park-goers can participate in seasonal sports, preschool activities, gymnastics, cheerleading, arts & crafts, aerobics, walking club, and senior club. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and in the summer youth can participate in the Chicago Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, West Lawn Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family, including holiday-themed events.
West Lawn Park takes its name from the surrounding community on Chicago's west side. West Lawn dates to 1877, when real estate developers James Webb and John F. Eberhart established the village and its neighbor to the east, Chicago Lawn. Though West Lawn was annexed to Chicago in 1889, the marshy area drew few residents until well into the 20th century. Public improvements were made west of Pulaski Road in the 1930s, and construction of single-family brick residences in West Lawn increased as the Depression gave way to improved circumstances in the World War II years. At the close of the war, the Chicago Park District initiated a Ten Year Plan to increase recreational opportunities in under-served and rapidly-growing areas of the city. West Lawn was among the neighborhoods identified for park development. There was strong community support for creating a park at 65th Street and Keeler Avenue, but property acquisition was delayed until 1948 because the owners wanted to build homes there. Park improvements were also slow to materialize, due to the flurry of construction at other parks throughout the city. General plans were drawn in 1953, and playground equipment was installed the following year. In 1957, the park district constructed a small recreation building, as well as basketball, volley ball, and tether ball courts. Community demands for a wider variety of recreational facilities prompted construction of a substantial new fieldhouse in 1972. More recent improvements include installation of a refrigerated ice skating rink and the replanting of the park's landscape, plus a batting cage.