Located in the East Side neighborhood, Wolfe Park totals 4.35 acres and features two multi-purpose clubrooms. Outside, the park offers two baseball fields, a basketball court, soccer/football fields, two multi-purpose courts, and two horseshoe pits. Many of these spaces are available for rental including our multi-purpose clubrooms.
Park-goers can participate in seasonal sports and preschool activities. After school programs are offered throughout the school year, and during the summer, youth can participate in the Park District’s popular six-week day camp.
In addition to programs, Wolfe Park hosts fun special events throughout the year for the entire family, such as holiday-themed events.
In 1928, the City of Chicago purchased a full city block in an expanding residential section of the heavily industrial East Side neighborhood. A 1929 park plan called for a playground, a ball diamond, a wading pool, and a recreational building with an office, shelter, and sand court. Construction began in 1930. That same year, the city named the park for Richard W. Wolfe. Born in Limerick, Ireland, Wolfe found success in Chicago's real estate and loan business. Wolfe served as the city's Commissioner of Public Works from 1927 through 1931, overseeing the straightening of the Chicago River. The city transferred Wolfe Park to the Chicago Park District in 1959.