Through this program, the Chicago Park District’s Department of Cultural and Natural Resources can award in-kind
grants of up to $10,000 to help support the development of Nature Play Spaces for children in Chicago Park District
The Chicago Park District defines a Nature Play Space as a designated, managed area in an existing or modified outdoor
environment where children of all ages and abilities play and learn by engaging with and manipulating diverse natural
elements, materials, organisms, and habitats, through sensory, fine motor and gross motor experiences. 1
Chicago Park District’s Nature Play Space Program provides support and resources to registered nature play space groups that
maintain or are working towards developing a nature play space in their neighborhood park. The purpose of the Nature Play
Space Program is to:
- reconnect children and families to nature by providing valuable outdoor space for positive, hands-on nature experiences
- invite communities to re-imagine park spaces for the purpose of promoting spontaneous free play by children,allowing them to immerse themselves in nature
These grants can help fund capital aspects of existing nature play spaces, or nature play space designs (See Appendix A
for examples of relevant capital expenditures). Projects must be aimed at designing, creating, expanding, or enhancing
a new or existing nature play space.
1. Applications must contain ALL of the required information.
2. Grant requests should not exceed $10,000
3. Applications must be completed and received by June 15, 2018.
4. Applications must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for a grant, applicants must represent a registered Nature Play Space Group (or a group that is in the process of
becoming registered). For an application to become a registered Nature Play Space Community Group, please email:
Applications must be received by June 15, 2018. Awards will be announced shortly after that. The project start date should
be no earlier than when awards are announced, and the project must be completed by November 30, 2018.
Download the Grant Application
Please review and complete the following documents to apply for a new nature play space: